Send me real-time posts from this site at my email
Motley Fool

Mall Operator Simon Property Buying a Major Competitor

Simon Property Group (NYSE: SPG) still believes in malls.

The owner of upscale shopping centers has agreed to buy 80% of Taubman Centers (NYSE: TCO). Simon will buy all of the common shares available at $52.50 per share in cash while the Taubman family will sell about one-third of its ownership interest, remaining a 20% partner in the Taubman brand (but won't have any equity in Simon).

In the deal worth $3.6 billion, Simon will be paying a just-over 50% premium on where the stock closed on Friday.

Upscale and higher-end malls have done better than lower-end ones. Image source: Getty Images.

What is Simon getting?

Taubman owns "24 high-quality retail assets (including 21 in the United States and 3 in Asia), consisting of approximately 25 million feet of gross leasable area," according to a press release. The current Taubman management team will remain in place.

"By joining together, we will enhance the ability of TRG [Taubman] to invest in innovative retail environments that create exciting shopping and entertainment experiences for consumers, immersive opportunities for retailers, and substantial new job prospects for local communities," said Simon CEO Davi Simon in the press release.

Why is Simon doing this?

While lower-tier malls and shopping centers have struggled, Simon's higher-end malls have been able to adapt to changes in consumer discretionary spending. It has found a formula to evolve its malls adding events, gyms, co-working spaces, and even hotels to enhance its properties.

Being bigger should only enhance the company and give it more leverage with prospective tenants. Two like companies coming together should make a stronger whole (albeit at a steep premium on the stock price).

10 stocks we like better than Simon Property Group
When investing geniuses David and Tom Gardner have a stock tip, it can pay to listen. After all, the newsletter they have run for over a decade, Motley Fool Stock Advisor, has tripled the market.*

David and Tom just revealed what they believe are the ten best stocks for investors to buy right now... and Simon Property Group wasn't one of them! That's right -- they think these 10 stocks are even better buys.

See the 10 stocks

*Stock Advisor returns as of December 1, 2019

Daniel B. Kline has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.


Source

Popular posts

Welcome!!! Is it your First time here?

What are you looking for? Select your points of interest to improve your first-time experience:

Apply & Continue